Re: [NTLK] Apple Seeks Handwriting Recognition Expert - We Can

From: Larry Yaeger (lsynewtal_at_beanblossom.in.us)
Date: Thu Aug 25 2005 - 22:01:34 PDT

At 10:50 PM -0500 8/25/05, William Pociengel wrote:
>there used to be this thing called 'shorthand' where the idea wasn't to
>write characters but to write words. if you don't count words per minute
>by counting 'character' based words then attaining the same speed as a
>good touch typist is not so big a deal.

Yeah, I've occasionally wondered if a shorthand-recognizer would get
any traction. My mother was quite proficient at it. But there
probably aren't enough people who know it anymore to even gather the
training data, never mind put it to use.

>ps my 5" wacom writes ok, HWR works right out of the box. but I was
>never happy with the s l o w response trying to use it to replace my
>mouse. actually it kept acting like a mouse and not a tablet (yes i
>verified the settings in the prefs) but I also can confirm that the HWR
>is top notch on Panther at least.

That's odd. Sounds like something was interfering with the Wacom
driver, so the rate at which it generated points was insufficient.
I've not heard of that problem before, nor anyone having trouble
getting the pen to ink. D_at_mn, I hate hearing about problems and not
being able to investigate them and get them sorted. If you're ever
in Indiana...

- larryy