Re: [NTLK] newton 120 online somehow?

From: Ron A. Parker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sun Aug 28 2005 - 10:44:24 PDT

On Aug 26, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Eric Silverman wrote:

> i know a newton 120 cant use wifi (damn!) but is there anyway i can
> get it online?
>
> anyway at all?

Online? It's a big world out there.

There are a couple things the MP120 can do, as far as connecting
"online." But, you will be limited to using a modem. In reality, the
best you can hope for is dialup access to email. All you need is
GoFetch and a Unix shell account with access via a dial up line. I've
setup my own Unix server for just this purpose. Check the NewtonTalk
archive for keywords like "gofetch" and "unix" for transcripts.

In theory, you could also use the same Unix shell account (with a
terminal program like PT100) to access the web as text. But, due to the
memory limitations of the MP120 v2.0, I was never successful using
PT100 on mine. This idea might work better with a MP130.

Additionally, I've often wanted to research AppleTalk Remote Access as
well. From what I've understand, you could setup ARA on a Mac and have
dialup access to the local computer's hard drive or, even AppleTalk
shares from a OS X network. It should be easy to setup but I'm not too
sure about it's usefulness.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET