Re: [NTLK] OT: Fly Pentop

From: hellsop_at_ninehells.com
Date: Tue Aug 30 2005 - 10:15:39 PDT

On Tue, Aug 30, 2005 at 12:06:29PM -0500, okto wrote:
> The technology doesn't strike you as interesting? It's not going to
> replace the Newton, it's just a fascinating concept. The fact that it
> is a graphical interface on paper, something which has not ever been
> done before.
> Yes, it's limited. So was the first Macintosh. So was the first
> airplane. So was the first Newton. The first one is never the best.
> As for toy, people said that about personal computers, too. It doesn't
> fit the current computing paradigm because it's completely new, just
> like personal computers were in the late 70s.
>
> On 30 Aug 2005, at 11:51, Matt Howe wrote:
>
> > My opinion? Too limited, too expensive. You need to use special paper
> > which
> > is fairly expensive. The included software is way to limited for
> > practical
> > use. This is also marketed by Leap Frog or one of the children's
> > companies.
> > I looked at it before and it is just too expensive for everyday use.
> > It is a
> > toy, nothing more.

What, pray tell, is your point? A toy may be interesting, but (as you
point out), it's not a Newton nor even a Newtion-replacement. It's
therefore not germane to the list. Rhetorically rationalizing the toy's
limitations doesn't even enter in.

--
'Cluids' - def: "Fluids having the effect of restoring or imparting
Clue. Eg; beer, coffee, sulphuric acid, etc."