Re: [NTLK] PCMCIA in Mac?

From: sunder (sunder_at_sunder.net)
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 06:03:15 PST

If you know the name of the device, you might be able to use a block by
block copy as a way to do
backups. If you have two identical cards, one blank, you can try
something like this:

Insert the card with data on it:
dd if=/dev/{whateverdevice} of=card-backup.dd bs=512

(sorry, I don't have a PowerBook that runs OS X, so I've no idea what
the device name is.)

Then, eject the card, and insert the blank one and type this in:

dd if=card-backup.dd of=/dev/{whateverdevice} bs=512

Once it's done, eject the card and try it in the Newton to see if the
cloning process worked.
If it did, you can use the above two commands to respectively backup and
restore newton cards.

(You can change the blocksize parameter to something higher, but still
in 512 byte increments, to
get a huge speed increase i.e. bs=65536, but you might not be able to
guarantee grabbing the
last blocks, if the card doesn't end on a 64K boundary.)