Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Mail V Update

From: Matt Lichtenberg (kerobaros_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 23:39:10 PST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:01:06 -0700, Andy van der Raadt <fallow_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've been fighting with this on and off all day today, and no
> combination of manual reading and various settings I could come up
> with has made it work. I've begun to think it's either not possible,
> or I'm making some mistake that's going to make me feel very silly.

It is, at the moment, not possible, as Gmail's POP and SMTP servers use
SSL for authorization, and the Newton currently has no SSL capability.
And as far as I can tell, you should expect to be able to run Einstein
on another PDA and check your Gmail account in the background before
you'll be able to do it natively on the Newton.. as the song goes, sad
but true.

By the way, thanks, Simon; if I used any email accounts other than
Gmail, I'd be pulling out my Newton again as a mobile email pad; as it
is, I'm sticking with Portable Thunderbird on a thumb drive and the
Windows computers in my college computer labs.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

-Matt