[NTLK] [ANN] Get into the Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa-Spirit (Invitation)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Dec 09 2005 - 11:53:03 PST

Subject: [NTLK] [ANN] Get into the Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa-Spirit
(Invitation)
From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko () gmx ! net>
Date: 2005-12-07 21:24:20

> I've been looking at the usual repositories for Holiday packages and
> stuff, wanting to get that special Newton in my life into the Season's
> Spirit(TM).
[...]
> Do you know of any XMas/Hannukah/Kwaanza/Solstice-packages that I
> don't have filed yet? Pls. post a link here or mail it to me for
> adding to the Lib.
>
> Or are you maybe even going to create something new for your Newton
> and your fellow Newtonians? Then be sure to cc. me a copy when you're
> releasing it so I can upload it together with the other stuff. Dancing
> Christmas trees, backdrop images, holiday startup-screens, books,
> sounds, more TTS-caroling, recipes... Anything goes and everybody can,
> if only your heart is in it... It's the spirit of giving... Good will
> to all Newton-kind... Spreading love and cheer... <Fade-in yucky
> sweetish string muzak disfiguring a classic Christmas carol...>

Wow. This year's Newton Christmas Challenge is already being picked up
by international Apple-watching media:
http://www.tuaw.com/2005/12/08/decorate-your-newton/ .

As the eyes of the world are watching us, let's get cracking as to not
disappoint them!

* * * Some neat ideas for Newtonia's Holiday Season for you * * *

* Trawl the web for Christmas (or other) stories. The usual blogs are
good pointers, Project Gutenberg is a sure winner. Grab 'em and bookify
them. Hey, if you click here
http://www.google.de/search?
newwindow=1&q=site%3Awww.gutenberg.org+christmas+recipe+cooking you
could even make a Christmas cookbook!
    (-- Want to know how to make an eBook? It's really easy, everybody
can, and the Wiki will help you:
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonEbooksIndex

* Compile your own favorite
XMas/Hannukah/Kwaanza/Solstice/Vhatevah-recipes and traditions in one
sweet Rich Text Format document, edit for nice looks, run Newton Press
and File/Add it, set page breaks, add topics (for a table of content)
and maybe insert some illustrations and give us something personal!

* Else you might want to create Season backdrop images for the usual
backdrop apps...

* ...or record short AIFF or WAV sounds on your desktop to be used as
system sounds. How to get them on your box? Easy--set up the new
release of Mail V by Simon Bell, mail the sounds over and put them away
from In Box, presto!--they are available as system sounds for all these
fun tricks here
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/ChangeSystemSounds .

* Another customisation: You can change the Newton startup screen, at
least on NOS 2.0:
http://tmurai-web.hp.infoseek.co.jp/computers/freeware/newton/sscreen/
startupscreen.html . Does it work on MP2x00 and eMates, too? Research
this, write a small, newbie-proof manual and give this gift. Fun for
the whole family!

* You could follow this HowTo
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/MakeNewtonSing and teach
the Newton a new tune, taking lyrics from a Christmas song and
transcribing it so it sound nice via TTS. Follow the linked
Macintalk-instructions and create more Text-to-Speech caroling
goodness...

* Or do anything else you'd like to do--give a new release of a
software you're developing, or a new hack from the heart, or a new
Moron's Manual documenting something step-by-step, or...

Be creative.

Santa 'Kasko
The Temporary Newton Library
http://www.stillnewt.org./library