[NTLK] Last Year's Overview...

From: Abraham Limpo Martínez (abraham_at_familialimpo.net)
Date: Sun Dec 11 2005 - 10:16:33 PST

Hey, I'm finally back! (not that anybody should remember me...)

I lost contact with the list on April this year due to problems with my ISP,
coupled with an unexpected opportunity to work abroad (unfortunately in a
place where internet was not an available commodity).

Anyway... what is the actual state of the list? Happened anything
interesting?

I see there's a new conference planned (I discovered too late to made any
acomodations to go there). Does anybody have some information about some
DVD's with videos of the past conference that were going to be released?

What happened with the backlight replacement thing? I ordered and paid mine,
but as I lost contact with the list I never knew what happened with it. Not
that I'm expecting the backlight, now my newton refuses to work anymore...

What is the current state of the "ressurrect the newton" initiative... I see
Paul Guyot keeps releasing new editions of the Einstein Platform. Is there
any hardware platform, other than the Apple computers where Einstein has
successfully run (like PDA's or dedicated hardware platforms)?

After my newton demise, I've tried other platforms, but, unfortunately, they
feel like glorified Media Players that happen to have some PIM capabilities
as well. I found especially appaling the poor integration Windows CE
aplications have between them, and that they constantly rely on you
sincronizing the PDA with your computer. Also that anoying tendency they
have to forget everything you have noted when they run out of battery... The
only redeeming capability is that they are small, and fit perfectly into the
pocket of my coat. So, is there out there any initiative to create a new
platform or adapt an existing one to replace the ever-aging newton platform?