Re: [NTLK] PowerBook 1400 worth upgrading?

From: Cwashiidcvrmtrs_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 12 2005 - 17:05:24 PST

In a message dated 12/12/05 4:39:06 PM, Catzindustries_at_verizon.net writes:

> I have a PB 1400 and I wanted to know if its worth upgrading. It has a
>133MHZ PowerPC,24MB RAM,no CD-ROM,color LCD display,dead battery (at least
>it has a battery!).

Hey, I have a PB 1400c with a 400mhz G3 upgrade, running OS 8.5.

It is a pretty good soldier; dependable for the most part, and is also
wireless thanx to a Proxim Skyline 802.11b card.

While it is pretty cool, even with the max RAM (64mb), RAM Doubler and the
400mhz processor, it is still handicapped by the Nubus architecture as far as
its slow bus speed and non Cardbus capabilities (no usb or firewire).

> I want to be able to browse the web at decent speeds (I have DSL and
>currently use an iMac 400MHZ and a PowerMac 8600 so Iam use to these
>speeds).

The wonderful, wonderful thing about high-speed internet, to me, is that it
makes even the slowest computers useable for simple internet/e-mail duties. I
am on a 117mhz 5300c right now in fact.

While you could just get an entire little-bit-faster Powerbook with more
modern capabilities (3400c or Wallstreet) for (more than likely) less than a
400mhz G3 upgrade processor for the 1400c, you could really go either way.

Craig W.