Re: [NTLK] eMate totaled. :'( How can I get the data?

From: Gopi D Flaherty (gf2e_at_andrew.cmu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 14:52:27 PST

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Mr.Graziano wrote:
> Frank will send you a 10.00 20MB card

Shipping from Germany isn't free.

> while you send him a 45.00 eMate

That's the going rate for _broken_ eMates, or working ones? Doing a quick
skim of ebay, that seems to be the price for working ones. I've seen
working ones go for less than $30.

> and by next year when its a collectable and worth over 100.00 you will
> say "why did I send this guy my emate for a lousy pc card"!

Yeah. He won't have his data, and his eMate will still be broken. But, if
he fixes it, he'll be able to sell it for more. Great plan.

My data's worth more than $50. A data recovery service, from somebody as
skilled as Frank? You seem to think that's free. I've seen Frank work on
eMates, and he's very good with them.

If you think that your data is worthless, and that Frank's time is
worthless, and that broken emates are worth the same thing as working
ones, then perhaps that does make it sound like a bad deal.

But those assumptions are blatantly false, and IMHO Frank Gruendel is a
great asset to the Newton community.