[NTLK] Make project: $100 computer based from eMate

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Dec 15 2005 - 10:04:27 PST

Newton hack going wrong...

Dear NTLK,

why somebody would wreck a perfectly working Apple eMate 300 is
somewhat beyond me, but that's what Make's Phillip Torrone is going to
do in his article
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2005/12/
make_your_own_100_laptop.html on how to DIY your own US$ 100,-- laptop.

He'll gut it, put a new hardware in there, and add a handcrank-power
supply. Okay, you could bundle a whole grid of Gumstix computers each
running Linux with 400 MHz in there, but that would cost more than one
hundred bucks, so I guess he'll settle for an ebayed ATX board or
something.
I wonder which Linux he'll pick...

Still, in a way this is some kind of a strange hommage to a rugged,
time-proven design.

'Kasko

P.S.: I wonder if Muniz/Schau would log that as blasphemy... ;=}