Re: [NTLK] Aging Capacitors

From: Charles England III (cengland10_at_cox.net)
Date: Sat Dec 24 2005 - 18:42:46 PST

I have a TRS-80 Model I that was bought new in 1979, and it's still
running to this day. The caps you really have to
 worry about are the electrolytic ones, they will eventually go bad, but
tantalum and ceramic caps will probably
 be ok longer that most of us will be alive.

Electrolytics are usually the ones that are in an aluminum can, with a
black rubber plug at one end, or if your
 in to old radio's, they will have a cardboard outer casing and say
something like "Sprague Atoms" on them.

If you re worried about the caps, you can replace the electrolytics
with oil filled caps or tantalums. make
 sure to observe the correct values and voltage ratings, a rule of thumb
is that the voltage rating of the
 cap should be 2x the voltage that it would see in the circuit that it
is in. Make sure also if the cap is
 polarized or not polarized, that you get one of like kind.

Be careful of the ripple reducer caps in power supplys, some of them can
kill you. though the ones in the
 newton and associated wall worts should be pretty safe.

Chuck E.