[NTLK] [OT] Switching to Mac (was Re: Christmas Eve, Apple Store - Employees Still Using Newts!)

From: Morgan Aldridge (makkintosshu_at_mac.com)
Date: Wed Dec 28 2005 - 11:26:38 PST

Getting a little OT here, but that's okay:

The life-saver when switching to the Mac has always been MacLink Plus
(http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/) if you need to use a
proprietary older file format. "MS Works for Windows 2.0, 3.0, 4.5,
95" is listed as supported, as is "Photoshop PSD" (http://
www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/mlp_xlators.html).
Unfortunately, CorelDraw is not listed.

Honestly, if you've got time, export documents you think you'll need
from the actual application on Windows. It's hard enough to find old
version of MS Works that work with modern versions of Windows anyway,
so this has always been a problem, regardless of platform.

Mac OS X supports a ton of different file formats including RTF, DOC,
PSD, TIFF, PNG, etc., in the built-in applications (Text Edit,
Preview, etc.) so you often just need to get the files to a more
modern file format (regardless of whether it's Mac or Windows) and
it'll work fine.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the sales person was either very
incompetent or just wanted to make a bigger sale. Any PowerMac G5
will run even the 30" Cinema Display (although not all support its
full resolution) and even the low end G5s can handle moving image
work with the appropriate software and memory.

If they were referring to the Motion application, you would need a
better graphics card and lots of RAM for it to work well. For High
Definition video work you'd also need a higher end processor(s) as
well as hard drive and RAM to keep up with the data rate. My guess is
that this is not what you were looking to do though.

Who here can guess my background? :D

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant_at_makkintosshu.com