Re: [NTLK] NIM and GoogleTalk

From: Morgan Aldridge (makkintosshu_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Dec 29 2005 - 09:02:03 PST

Unfortunately (or fortunately, from a security standpoint) Google's
services (gmail, google talk, etc.) require SSL (Secure Socket
Layer). Unfortunately, SSL has yet to be ported to the Newton.

The only thing I actually _need_ on my Newton is SSH, but most SSH
clients are built on top of SSL (for good reason). I've thought about
working on a port, but I just don't have the time to implement such a
project.

Should we put a bounty on SSL for the Newton? If we do so are we
opening a whole other can of worms as we'd then need SSL support
added to NetHopper, Courier, the various Jabber clients, a terminal
emulator, etc.?

Anyway, I wish I could use gmail & google talk on my Newton as well. :(

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant_at_makkintosshu.com
http://www.makkintosshu.com/