Re: [NTLK] WifiCard

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 23:45:40 PST

On Feb 3, 2005, at 5:10 PM, Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> I would like to try another, and I see on ebay some
>> enterasys card which are says identical as lucent
>> gold. Do someone have use these cards with airport
>> extreme or have an idea ?
>
> Philippe,
>
> The Enterasys puts out a card called the RoamAbout. These from what I
> recall are WaveLAN Gold re badged. By the pdf I checked (link below)
> it mentions they are 128 bit encryption... I would look into it it
> carefully as I'm not 100% sure but have seen them advertised one Bay
> as being re badged WaveLAN cards and in some cases the Japanese Unit
> (or modified to Japanese Specs) which offer 14 channels....
>
> http://www.enterasys.com/products/wireless/9033362.pdf

There is a whole thread over at NetStumbler.com about upgrading and
hacking the firmware of many different brands of cards to make them
Lucent WaveLAN Gold cards.

There were many 802.11b cards made using the same chipset and have the
same technical specs. If you can make it through the long ( and I mean
long!) thread, you can find out how to change many different branded
cards and/or hack the features like adding 14 channel support.

I complied a list a while back (when I was keeping up with the thread)
of all the brand and model cards that can be updated/changed/hacked
that are all based on the same chipset as the Lucent WaveLAN cards.

I'll have to find that list....