Re: [NTLK] Another Batch

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 11:13:36 PST

Aux environs du 11/02/05 à 10:46 -0800, sous le titre "Re: [NTLK]
Another Batch", Steven Frank prit sa plus belle plume pour écrire les
mots suivants:
> > 2.) The alt.rec package to improve the HWR caused my Newton to crash
> > nearly as much as a Windows box. O.o So I deleted it. Has anyone else
>> had that problem? By the way, I narrowed it down by freezing
>> extensions one-by-one, if that helps.
>
>I use alt.rec and haven't noticed any crashing to speak of.

The crash Nathan is talking about is a conflict between Paragraph
learning method and alt.rec.... After the third (or second) word, the
Newton freezes.

I never found the time to fix it because it seems rather complex and
alt.rec....'s original target was Rosetta users like me. It is of
little help to Paragraph users.

>I did
>start getting -48204 errors when I deleted all of alt.rec's expansions,
>but they went away as soon as I added a single expansion back. alt.rec
>really does seem to help with my printed recognition. I wish there was
>more information on what it actually does behind-the-scenes.

Basically it improves the HWR interface slightly (correction popup
even when the keyboard is open, italics in the popup for words not in
dictionaries, better expansions than built-in system, integration
with njim for romanji input), and it improves recognition by making a
larger use of the dictionaries. This last feature is mostly useful
with Rosetta as Paragraph makes a too large use of the dictionaries.

When I was taking notes intensively on my Newton, I had plenty of
ideas about how to improve the recognition. The origin of alt.rec...
is that I thought I could combine Paragraph that better recognizes
some ligatures I naturally make and Rosetta that better recognizes
everything else when helped with a dictionary. I wasn't able to do
this with the public APIs.

But the thing is I no longer take notes intensively on my Newton and
alt.rec.... seems to fit my needs the way it currently works. I would
open source the program if there really were someone who would work
on it and improve it. Unlike some other Newton projects of mine,
nobody asked me for the source code, though.

Paul

--
Ministre ultraplénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.