Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: John (macnut_at_frys.com)
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 13:54:59 PST

RAParker wrote:

> My saving grace was the fact that I knew the Polstar PGM-111 had a
> 9-pin adapter with a USB power tap available. It was exactly what I was
> looking for. The device I was looking for (for my Newton 120) had to be
> a serial device with an external power supply. A more common adapter of
> this type is the (hardwired) cigarette lighter type adapter. That's
> what you're probably going to find for your antenna. The best thing to
> do is to try and contact the manufacturer for a source of the right
> kind of adapter cable.

I doubt that Rand-McNally would be much help...

> The USB battery pack and USB flex light are available from
> computergeeks.com online.

That's the big hangup for me. I was giving some thought to robbing a PS2
port from an old PC board (maybe PC's are good for something besides
Linux and BeOS), and making up a dedicated power supply from a homemade
battery pack of some sort. The big issue is figuring out what pins to
use on the PS2 plug, and the correct voltage and polarity.

> The other parts, the DB25 to DB9 adapater and the "Mac modem cable",
> are available from most online cable distributors.

I've got the serial to mini-din cable that came with my 130. Still
wrapped in the original twistie, even. So I should have that part handled.

> Also, for a cleaner setup, you can go directly from the 9pin RS-232 to
> a 9pin Mac serial cable (eliminating the series of adapters).

See above.

> The "packages" you were asking about, I assume you mean the Newton
> software? So far, I'm playing with an extra Newton MP120 (v1.3) I own,
> as a GPS Newton. It leaves me somewhat limited, as far as software.
> With a little assistance from Victor, I'm hoping GPS Map v1.8.8 will be
> uploaded to UNNA and then the v1.3 MP120, running the full version of
> GPS Map, will be very impressive indeed. I'm currently using GPS Map
> Lite 1.2.9 and GPS Monitor 1.0. I tried to load the"US Map" but it's
> too big for the 2MB Flash card I have. (Sounds like I need to join the
> World Wide Newton Association a get myself a free upgrade :-).
> Unfortunately, the smaller "World Map for any Newton" complained that I
> needed v2.0, so as of now, the GPS works but I'm mapless, until I make
> my own.

Well, I have an NOS 2.0 120, a 130, my UMP2000, and an Emate, so I think
I'm okay there!

Thanks!
JR

--
This sig contains no political, religious, or commercial content whatsoever.