Re: [NTLK] GPS Mouse Antennas for Newton (was: Hiking Newton)

From: RAParker (RAParker_at_Quadzilla.NET)
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 11:16:31 PST

On Friday, February 11, 2005, at 08:16 PM, Matthew T. Boulanger wrote:
> I'd been doing it for years, and shared a lot with the list. You may
> be able to find some of the discussions in the archive.

.
.
.
> http://homepage.mac.com/matthewboulanger/NewtonandGPS.html
> I'm not sure how up-to-date the links are, but there may be something
> useful there.

There is some good reading. My GPS needs are less "data collection,"
and more recreational or educational. With the revelation that these
mini GPS antennas work well with (the recently released to the
community) GPS Map 2.1 software, I think there may be renewed interest
in setting up Newtons for GPS. That's definitely been the case with me.
It's very impressive to have my Newton 120 communicating with
satellites and turning that information into a real time street or
topographical hiking maps.

Even more impressive is the GPS mouse device itself. Small, sleek,
powerful and affordable. I picked up my GPS mouse for $50 + $17 for the
cable. It worked nearly right out of the box, of course, only after I
picked up the right cable. Since I had an extra Newton, no extra cost
there.

But, I have been bitten by the "mod" bug since picking up my Army camo
cases. When I'm finished with the pair of hiking Newtons, I suspect
they will have cost me (ouch: I just calculated the total cost over the
whole project) $380 each.

Ron

--
Sent using Mail for Mac OS X. Cyberdog lives!
--
    |\ | @ Quadzilla.NET
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"