Re: [NTLK] High Quality replacement MP2x00 white backlights

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 04:37:51 PST

On 2/14/05 4:47 AM, Martin Joseph <martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com> wrote:
>> With today's technology, there has to be a brighter solution than what Apple
>> produced over 8 years ago!
> Following that logic there would be a better PDA also! Which there isn't...

I wasn't making a merely logical or philosophical statement. While other
PDAs have yet to come up to speed with Apple's software implementation, the
fact is that hardware, including EL technology, has progressed over the
years. One reason no one has copied Apple's software interface is because
Apple holds the copyright to it. Apple does not own the patents on EL
technology, however.

And so, the progression in hardware technology has nothing at all to do with
the Newton interface still being the best out there. My remarks are simply
a means of calling out to the suppliers of Newton backlights to make
something brighter and hence better than the stock EL. It should be
technologically feasible to do this, although it may require electrical
modifications to the EL driver circuitry. But I would be willing to take
out the soldering iron if it meant a brighter EL -- especially a brighter
WHITE backlight.

-- James W.