Re: [NTLK] Oddest use

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:52:02 PST

Well, we all know about the Newtons that were used to
track race results at a famous race track (I can't
remember the exact details..but I'm sure someone here
will)
One of the most interesting uses I was involved in
(not from a technical standpoint though) was supplying
Newtons for receiving telemetry information from
vehicles being used to test highway and tire wear from
the department of transportation using the Motorola
CDMA wireless services.
Another use was supplying a Newton and a PlanetOne
satellite phone for an artic (antartic?)
expedition...the one where that scientist had to be
airlifted because he became ill... They had a Mac that
they were using, but they wanted something a little
more portable, so I set them up with a Newton and the
necessary cables.
I also supplied a Newton for a Peruvian volcano
expidition where the Newton was used to track the
movement of of the surface ground. We supplied the
Newton and an external powersource that allowed the
Newton to remain powered on continuously for a month.
The Newton recorded information from a machine that
bounced a laser and registered the time for the bounce
to see if the earth had moved.
These were all one-offs that I assisted in creating a
sollution for a specific problem.
I had a co-worker who worked for the Navy who told me
that he was involved in setting up a wireless Newton
network inside nuclear submarines. He explained the
problems they had with multi-pathing and ghosting on
the signal. And then, of course, the thing that
ultimatly killed the project was the destruction of
the Newton platform by Jobs-zilla.
well, those are my stories and I'm sticking to them.
Oh yeah, btw...when we got the Peruvian Newton back,
it didn't last long because ash and soot from the
volcano got inside the thing (which was sitting inside
a box)and everything on the Newton "crunched". not a
pleasant sound. Lucky for the engineers they stored
all their data on a ram card (they purchased the 2mb
card from us for several hundred dollars if I
recall...)
Ed
web/gadget guru
Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton:
http://newton.tek-ed.com

--- Michael Grauer <linuxking_at_earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 10:21 AM, pjf
> wrote:
>
> > "Ask The Man Who Taps One"??
> >
> > On Monday, February 14, 2005, at 10:14AM, Bruce E.
> Durocher II
> > <bedii_at_qwest.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Lighting the carburetor of a Packard Clipper so
> we could get the car
> >> up and running again.
> >>
> >> Bruce E. Durocher II
> >> bedii_at_qwest.net
> >

> I think mybe I should start a home from abused
> newtons ;)

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial