Re: [NTLK] Strange Google Find

From: Sonny Hung (sonnyhung_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:46:07 PST

Matt,

This is very interesting.

If you think back to last year there was a person posting a thread
testing the list for the purpose of selling Newtons. This person
worked for RTI and he posted something about the possibility of
selling MP2x00s to the list and possibly in bulk.

Eventually these Newtons appeared on eBay and brought down the costs
of such setups a lot... I too was interested in them but purchased
from someone else on eBay - in actuality it was probably one of their
units I eventually purchased anyway - the unit I got had the same
basic accessories.

I kept in contact with one of the RTI reps and she was very nice to
keep me informed about any left over equipment from their sales of
Newton hardware.

Later on I purchase a bulk eBay auction of Newtons which many of you
may recall also which were being sold with broken screens and what
not...

I discovered in my repair of these units that some still had software
on them. This is the RTI software you're referring to in your link.
RTI is an non-profit org, one of the items that they did was surveys
for the government about drug abuse. They had the Newtons configured
to track these surveys and report them via modem back to a server.

It's great that you found this as this kind of connects the dots for me.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung