Re: [NTLK] eMate chips

From: Clayton Mitchell (claytonmitchell_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 09:59:08 PST

Thanks for the reply.

On Feb 15, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Andrei Chichak wrote:

> At 04:58 PM 2005-02-14, you wrote:
>> C109 ("the big yellow one") is a 100 microFarad 10 Volt electrolytic
>> capacitor that you should be able to get in every Radio Shack
>> store.=20
>
> Not electrolytic, Tantalum, a surface mount tantalum.

???? I have no idea what this means. Can you point me in the right
direction so I can buy a replacement?

> The Diode can be tested using a multimeter with a diode test function
> (has
> a diode symbol), with one probe on each end of D10 you should have
> about
> 0.6volts one way and reversing the probes, an open circuit. A dead
> diode
> would look like open both ways or some sort of voltage both ways.

If you are referring to testing the chips on the board to see if they
work or not. If do not need to do that. They have incinerated on the
board and I can look at them and tell they are bad. after looking at
the prices on mouser it looks as if you can get these kind of chips for
less than $1 each. which would put the repair and $4 + shipping, much
less than a referb eMate. I also do not want to see this end up in the
trash, call me sentimental. What I do not know is what they are
exactly so I can purchase replacements. I can use a soldering iron but
do not know about electrical engineering.

I was hoping that some of the extremely knowledgeable of the list would
take pity on me and illuminate my ignorance in this matter e.g. tell me
what these chips are and where to get replacements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Clayton Mitchell
Director
Jane Evans Language Center