Re: [NTLK] High Quality replacement MP2x00 white backlights

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 15:35:44 PST

> Please describe for us the manner the complete=20
> screen unit is manufactured.

The screen unit consists of the Touchscreen (Digitizer)
and the rest. You can remove the touchscreen without
any problems, so we'll forget it.=20

"The rest" is the LCD display, the backlight and the
display electronics.

Roughly the assembly is as follows (this will only
look OK if you use a monospaced font like Courier:

+--+ +--+
| +------- LCD -------+ |
| ----- backlight ----- |
| --- plastic base ---- |
+---- flexible board -----+

The backlight is between the plastic base and the LCD.=20
The flexible board wraps around on three sides to
contact the LCD. Looking at the display in portrait mode,=20
the three sides are left, right and bottom. You can't
separate the LCD from the flexible board without destroying
everything.=20

Theoretically it would be possible to get at the backlight
from the top side if you cut some of the plastic base's edge
away. Unfortunately you will find that the backlight
is glued to the edge of the plastic base on one side and to the
edge of the LCD on the other side, making it impossible to
pull it out.=20

> Remember I did not disassemble the LCD from the frame when
> I separated the digitizer and LCD on my MP2x00's when trying
> to recover Digitizers and LCDs to repair units.

2x00 units are different. It is very easy to replace a 2x00
backlight because a) it is not glued and b) the flexible board
doesn't wrap around one of the long sides, allowing enough
space to pull the backlight out.

As I said, no problem whatsoever with a 2x00.
But I still think that it is impossible in a MP130.=20

Frank