Re: [NTLK] Barcoding Stylus

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 06:29:29 PST

Brian Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
> I came across this item on ebay.com(there is a couple of them on there
> actually):
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80064&item=5752214188
>
> It is for an InPath MW400 Barcoding Stylus. I was not aware that
> anything like this existed and am intrigued by it. The auction says
> that it comes with software. Is anybody familiar with this software
> and hardware? What are its capabilities? If there are people out
> there that are using it, what do you use it for?

It's an all-in-one wand style barcode scanner and decoder with a serial
interface. Requires no external power or batteries. Just about the only
other barcode scanner you'll find in that price and size is a CueCat, and they
are only USB or PS/2 keyboard interfaces, not very suitable for the Newton.

I wrote a simple driver for the InPath for the Newton:

http://www.chuma.org/code/newton/inpath/

I've been meaning to scan the paper manual for it one of these days too, it
has barcodes in there to change the scanner's settings (serial speed,
enable/disable certain codes, etc)