Re: [NTLK] Newton packages versus OS X packages

From: David M. Ensteness (denstene_at_mac.com)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 15:56:37 PST

> They are being deprecated and now resources are stored in the data
> forks of resource files.
> The older forked style CAN still be read but the preference for new
> tools is to NOT create forked files at all.
> Resources are not going away (yet) but forked files are being
> deprecated.

I was not aware ... that seems like a happy way to go. I would really
hate to see the content of resource forks going away. Type and creator
codes are a much, much slicker way to identify file type than extension
has ever been but moving them into the data fork seems like a good
idea.

> The type and creator codes are stored in the PkgInfo file which you can
> open in TextEdit.
> It's a plain text file with no resource fork.

I didn't realize that was where they were being moved to, nice to know.

> Most new OS X apps are this way and do not use "resources" in the
> traditional sense or forked files at all.

That I knew.

> NT/XP supports them but has no installed file systems that use them.
> If there are files with resource forks (like newton packages) they can
> get dropped during transfer.

So I take it the Newton does make use of forked files for soups and
pkgs?

David