[NTLK] AIM On Newton Setup

From: Adam Ladds (aladds_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 14:17:27 PST

To set up Jabber (and get it working), here's what I did:

1. Install Newton IM (NewtJab seems not to work)

2. Set up a Jabber account on your computer (I used Psi for Mac OS X
and the server jabber.com.cn, as it offers AIM and MSN and seems to
work), also use service discovery to add any services you want to have
on the newton (AIM, MSN etc.) and add contacts etc.

3. Set up the newton with a static IP in internet setup (not completely
necessary, but it keeps the port forwarding process simple). I used
10.0.2.202, but you can use any address that will work with your
network.

4. Forward port 5222 to the newton, I used the IP 10.0.1.202, so i
forwarded the public port 5222 to the local port 5222 with my airport
extreme base station

5. Open Newton IM on the newton

6. Enter details into Newton IM (username is just that, not with the
@jabber.com.cn bit), the server is (in my case) jabber.com.cn, the
resource is whatever you want (does not affect anything important), the
password is shown in clear text, so make sure no one can see what you
are typing.

6. Click connect!

7. Enjoy Jabber on your newton! (Tip: Use the on-screen keyboard rather
than Paragraph, it doesn't seem to recognise things like "lol" or "brb"
etc. Rosetta would probably be OK for this, but I prefer Paragraph.)

8. Any probs? Ask on-list, so other people can benefit from the awnsers
(also, I may not always be able to help!) (error -12013, or whatever it
was, is a server error, try a different jabber server if that occurs)

cheers

Adam