Re: [NTLK] iPod-FW-Petition: Talking back to Apple - and ask about the Newton! ;=}

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2005 - 12:00:36 PST

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:19:46PM -0600, James Nichols wrote:
> Id you continued to read his post - he also urged Apple to "bring back
> the Newton first" - presumably he meant releasing a new model newton
> with modern capabilities that could utilize the full bandwidth of a
> firewire port, rather than to provide a pc card for newton with
> firewire ports on it or a firewire to serial adaptor or something silly
> like that.

Oh. Well, then..

I think a flying car with firewire would be really great too.

This is the Newton we've got, and it seems manifestly clear, after five
years of petitions, requests, etc. that Apple's entirely uninterested in
making anything like an updated Newton, at this or any foreseeable time.
Full stop. We're still (marginally) more grounded than the people that
are perennially expecting the next Amiga to be released next year, and
I'd really like to keep it that way. All the wonderful things that have
happened to the Newton over the past decade are the result of people
looking at the Newt they have, and seeing where *it* might go.

--
45. I will make sure I have a clear understanding of who is responsible for
    what in my organization. For example, if my general screws up I will not