Re: [NTLK] Newton Phone Help

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 12:50:54 PST

From: jg <jgprofilin2_at_yahoo.ca>
Subject: [NTLK] Newton Phone Help
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2005 08:56:21 +0100

> I have a Newton Phone, Siemens. Newton works well
> but the battery compartment is different.
> What kind of battery should be used there?

The Siemens Newton uses the same batteries as the OMP
and the MP100. There's a rechargeable pack for these beasts,
and there's also a battery holder that takes 4 AAA size
batteries.
=20
> Secondly, the phone doesn't work. When connected to the
> phone jack it sounds "beep" (loudspeaker not receiver)
> and cannot be switched off by hanging the receiver or
> pressing the button. I cannot make a connection.
> When pushing the buttons click sounds but no connection is=20
> made. Is this a tone phone? I don't think so.

This is a very common defect that seems to hit a lot of
NotePhones. I haven't yet succeeded in figuring out the
reason. Fact is that this defect is temperature-dependant.
Blow at the NotePhone with a hairdryer and it'll probably
disappear (the defect, not the notephone). More often than
not this defect will even disappear on its own if the
NotePhone is powered for some time and the components have
warmed up.

This defect results in the NotePhone's not hanging up
Normally in such a case you'll be
disconnected automatically (at least that is the way it
is in Germany if you pick up the receiver and don't dial).
You will probably be able to get a connection by unplugging
the phone line and plugging it back in.

Since you are in California, you'll probably be out of luck
if you're trying to use the original German phone cable.
You'll probably have to swap wires (1 with 2 and 3 with 4).
If you want me to have a look at it, feel free to send it
my way. If I can't fix it, it'll only cost you postage for
shipping back. But I won't promise anything. I've spent
some time on that problem already without the least success.
You might want to get in touch with Sonny Hung, he's currently
having the same problem with his NotePhone.

Regards

Frank