[NTLK] NiMH Rechargeable Batteries

From: James Wages (james_at_kiramek.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2005 - 19:48:06 PST

For those of you pitting recelling a rechargeable battery pack versus using
the battery tray, I have some useful information for you.

For reasons of cost I went with the battery tray route. Works great with
Alkalines, but I hate going out and buying them all the time. So I recently
purchased some 2400mAh MERKURY brand AA NiMH batteries and charger. They
work great. However, I was a bit stunned when I realized that these
batteries are not a true replacement for alkalines in terms of voltage
output.

Alkalines at rated at 1.5v, but the NiMH batteries range from 1.20v to
1.25v. Most vendors are not forthright about the voltage. And while it's
not a serious problem, the Newton will never say the batteries are 100%
charged because the voltage level is too low. I still get longer life out
of the NiMH batteries, but the battery level rides at 60% or lower after a
fresh charge.

Hope this helps some.

Best,

James Wages