Re: [NTLK] Can't import text to Newton from NCU v.1.0 PLS HELP

From: Alex Santos 100MB Neostrada Mail (izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl)
Date: Sun Jan 02 2005 - 10:57:46 PST

Don, please bear with me and I will need your continued help. I must=20
get those files off my computer, it's a panic situation right now.

On Jan 2, 2005, at 3:02 PM, Don V. Zahniser wrote:

> Alex -
>
> NCU (for Mac) uses the Claris XTND translators that are installed in=20=

> the
> Claris folder in the System folder.

Does this mean I have to install Claris Works? I used Nisus Writer as=20
my word processor but have since copied and pasted one text only (they=20=

are all text only) document to teachtext and saved it as an experiment,=20=

still to no avail.

When you refer to the XTND translators, are you suggesting I need to=20
install an extension? Do i need to install Claris Works? Do I have to=20
do something with PC exchange, right now PC exchange is only aware of=20
.txt files and has directed the system to open teachtext in the event=20
of encountering a .txt file.

> I had problems similar to what you are reporting when I tried to make
> Newton Books from RTF using Newton Press, which also uses the Claris
> XTND system. I solved that by using MacLink to make my RTF file into a
> MacWrite II (IIRC) document, which translated fine into Newton Press.

I am not trying to make Newton books, I simply want my documents which=20=

weigh in at about 10k maximum to be transferred to my filed to my=20
Newton as notes in the un-filed area of notes.

i repeat for clarity's sake and indeed to help you help me =96 I have=20
basic text files that I would like to be transfer to notes on my=20
Newton.

Do i need to add '.rtf' to my document names? How do I use MacLink to=20
make MacWrite II (IIRC, hmm=85what is IIRC?) from my .rtf files? Do I=20
need to install Newton Press on the Newton, can't the files just go to=20=

notes?

> If you have NCU installed, you should already have a Claris folder.

Yes, I do have it installed, I guess there is a Claris folder and I=20
assume it's in my system folder.

> There is an archive at:
>
> http://www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton.html
>
> that I downloaded with XTND translators to supplement those in NCU. =
It
> includes a Nisus Writer XTND translator.

I will go to the link immediately, I suppose the translators are for=20
the mac, not the newton, correct?

DON, thank you so much.

I hate to ask you but if you could step by step, the process for me I=20
would be extremely grateful. I haven't been troubleshooting as my emac=20=

is now free and I am using it instead of the duo, but I hope you will=20
make things clear for me so I can use the duo more regularly as my wife=20=

needs the emac because of the Polish characters.

Your continued help is very much needed here! Thanks again.