[NTLK] New, But Getting Frustrated, Newton User

From: Vaughn Corden (vaughn_at_corden.com)
Date: Mon Jan 03 2005 - 00:50:40 PST

Okay, I've been reading the manual and I was able to answer a lot more
of my questions without bothering you folks. I now understand how to
see what's installed on my Newton through the Extras drawer and all of
its folders.
However, here's where I'm still stumped. In order to get my Lucent
WaveLAN Turbo Bronze to work I did a brain wipe and started over. This
time, after installing all of the packages suggested by Paul Oberman
(Thanks, Paul!), the card was recognized by my Newton. A Setup window
was displayed and I entered the info for my wireless network. I used
the hexadecimal password just to be safe. I then went into Internet
Setup and setup a connection link, first using DHCP. I then tried
NetHopper, but got the 60088 error message. According to an archived
message on this list...

  That means that the Newton's DHCP request failed - either timed out or
  failed. Your Linksys router might not be setup to provide DHCP, or the
  Newton's crappy DHCP client won't work with it. I just added a comment
  the Errors DB about this:

http://guelph.unna.org/errors/viewcomments.php?code=3D-60088

(This link doesn't work anymore - Vaughn)

-Victor

So, then I tried assigning a manual IP and I seemed to get a connection
to my router, but NetHopper gave me a DNS error. I tried several DNS
servers, but they all returned NetHopper DNS errors .

So here's what I want out of my Newton...

1) To be able to sync with Now Up to Date & Contact.
  - I can get my contacts using NewtSync, but not the notes
- No clue how to get my calendar info over to the Newton since Now
don't offer a utility for iCal.

2) Browse the occasional web site, but more frequently send and receive
email.

I know the Newton can do a lot more and the handwriting recognition is
wonderful, but in order to dump my Palm, I need the above things.
Otherwise, all I've done is buy myself a little piece of Apple history.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks to everyone who has helped me so far.

- Vaughn