Re: [NTLK] Wifi Woes

From: Craig Smith (smith_at_west.net)
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 14:59:20 PST

In a previous message Vaughn Corden wrote:

Craig,
That's very interesting and I was certainly wondering if it was an
Express Base Station issue, too, except that I found the following web
page today (http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm - Is this
Hiroshi's page?), it states the following..

Test Result with AirPort Express Base Station
   09/21/2004

   I have tested my driver with AirPort Express Base Station.

   [Test Equipment]

Newton: MessagePad 2100 (2000 upgraded)

AirPort BaseStion: AirPort Software 4.0.1

   *** Test1

WaveLAN card: Buffalo PCM-WLI-L11 (Lucent/Agere chip-set)

WEP: Yes, 128bits ASCII (13 chars)
   Without DHCP: success
   With DHCP: success

   *** Test2

WaveLAN card: Planex GW-NS11H (Prism 3.0 chip-set)

WEP: Yes, 128bit ASCII (13 chars, same as test1)
   Without DHCP: success
   With DHCP: fail

When I read this I ruled out my Express Base Station as the culprit,
but your experience certainly implies otherwise. There have been
firmware updates for the Express Bases Station since 9/21/04, so
perhaps that's the issue. Unless other users are using their updated
Express Base Stations...

- Vaughn

Vaughn,

That is Hiroshi's page and I had seen it before. I took it to mean that
with certain cards that you wouldn't be able to connect using DHCP
(which is the easiest way to configure) but would have to configure
manually. Indeed when I used DHCP I couldn't even connect to the
Internet. When I tried to manually configure I connect to the internet
then it says "can't find host" or "can't resolve IP address." My
guess is that a card with the Lucent/Agere chip-set would have no
problem connecting.

Craig Smith