Re: [NTLK] 2005 and other Holidays

From: johnc (johncharlton_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 07:04:04 PST

On Jan 7, 2005, at 8:51 AM, Matthew Reidsma wrote:

> Good idea, but doesn't Eck's IC/VC allow you to subscribe to .ics
> calenders? Seems like if that were the case you could just import the
> ics straightaway through IC/VC.

Ah! That's the non-hacked together idea. So I gave it a try, but not
having any luck so far.

Here are some of the problems:
(NHttp is installed and tested OK.)
- Some icals (Apple's) are redirected through multiple URLs and hang.
- I tried a US Holiday calendar at a fixed URL (I think) and it seemed
to hang "Receiving Body". Nothing in In/Out Box.
- I did a preview of the US calendar and it misses important things
like American Thanksgiving, so no guarantees on quality.
Haven't totally given up yet though, it's a great idea. Any other
guinea pigs want to give it a try?

Of course the other problem is that using IC/VC also requires a Newton
owner to have an internet connection, and for them to install two
programs they might not otherwise need. So a handy-dandy way to create
a package which loads up the Dates (Calendar Notes) soup would still be
useful.

Was up till 2:00 reading about NewtonScript, but I'm not there yet for
trying it myself.

John