Re: [NTLK] Finally !! Einstein on my iMac!! WOW - How I got it to work

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Fri Jan 07 2005 - 10:45:12 PST

Aux environs du 7/01/05 à 11:50 -0500, sous le titre "[NTLK] Finally
!! Einstein on my iMac!! WOW - How I got", ADyson prit sa plus belle
plume pour écrire les mots suivants:
>BlankOK, so it took me a while but the end result was... like...
>WOW!! I'm impressed!!!. I was
>beginning to think I lost my touch not being able to figure out how
>to get Einstein to work. Due the
>lack of talk and short instructions regarding Einstein's setup I
>assumed I was the only one unable
>to get it to work and therefore embarrassed to ask any questions.

Einstein Emulator currently is a developer preview.
In fact, DP2 rather is a technology preview.
DP3 will include a way to install packages and to execute
newtonscript code and hence will be directly usable by developers.

>Problem #1 - How to revert ROM back to version 717006 without
>opening the case
> I wrongly assumed that I needed to erase the system patch on my
>Newton. Paul claims it should work
>with US ROM but I still assumed that I needed to revert back to
>717006. Good job I didn't go to all
>that trouble since it worked with my version 717260 after naming it 717006.

The ROM image really is 717006.
It's called 717260 (or 710031) once patched, but the patch isn't
extracted by Hammer.

I shouldn't have used this terminology because it really seems to confuse you.

>Problem#2 - Couldn't get my head around Hammer.
>I downloaded and executed the Debugger connection pkg but nothing
>happened. Kept getting an
>"Error -1 in setting up the debugging session and Hammer kept asking
>to open a file (Which file???)
>when I launched it. Can someone explain why Hammer needs to open an
>image first before I can link to
>the Newton to download an image of the Newton ROM. I eventually got
>it to work after downloading
>"FullLanternDDK.sit" and using the MP2000 ROM image file "Senior
>CirrusNoDebug image". Is there
>another way of doing it since this is not mentioned in any
>instructions. My original copy of hammer
>didn't have the MP2000 ROM image. (BTW, is the Senior CirrusNoDebug
>image not the same thing as the
>717006 image?)

Using Hammer is complex. And slow.
I've been working on a TCP/IP based ROM dumper utility to dump the
ROM more quickly.

Yes, there is enough information in Senior CirrusNoDebug image and
high image to build a ROM dump as the one you extracted.
However, I decided to not write (or release) code doing this to make
Victor safe with distributing UNNA DVDs and CDs. So requiring you to
dump the ROM really ensures that you have a working MP2x00 unit.

>Problem #3 - I didn't have X11 installed and had no clue how to use it.
>I eventually figured out I needed to download and install X11 but
>still had problem trying to
>startup Einstein. I would get the normal "Welcome to Einstein
>Emulator Console ..... blah...blah
>blah" but then get an error message "Couldn't connect to X11
>display". After searching through
>howto's on the web I came across a piece of information that finally
>made everything click.
>"With OSX version of X11 you can start x11 apps from the dock" so I
>double clicked on Einstein. It
>seemed to load but only brought me to an x11 shell. I took a last
>stab and launched Einstein (using
>Paul's instructions - ./Einstein data/) in that X11 window and
>....." it worked"...."It
>worked".... Hallelujah!!!!!

You could just have:
- double-clicked X11.app program
- run einstein from the terminal.

Einstein emulator tries to connect to the display indicated by the
DISPLAY variable, if any, or to the local display if it couldn't
connect at first.

I chose a X11 interface (vs a Carbon or Cocoa interface) to make sure
that the result is portable. The emulator compiles for Linux x86, but
the OS doesn't boot, though (it crashes early, probably because of an
endianness problem).

Paul

--
Ministre plénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.