Re: [NTLK] [ANN] Einstein Emulator DP3

From: Jeff Sheldon (jeff_at_jurai.net)
Date: Sun Jan 16 2005 - 22:24:54 PST

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 01:02:03PM -0500, John Charlton wrote:
> Like the landing on Titan, seeing something that's never been seen
> before, a large screen Newton.

I'm particularly interested in Einstein allowing the Newton architecture
to run on a dedicated desktop machine (with touch display or Wacom LCD
tablet) or generic tablet PC. Einstein proves that there's no reason to
limit NewtonOS to PDAs, even though the PDA format is where I personally
feel that development and usability should continue to focus.

I read through folklore.org recently and particularly appreciated the
comments about how Mac programming eventually moved off of the Lisa and
directly onto the Mac prototypes. Such a feat was considered one of the
milestones of the Mac really maturing as a project. It would be nice one
day to turn on my PC, have it boot straight into Einstein, and write new
apps in a NewtonOS-based programming environment rather than NTK or even a
MacOS X client. Einstein, NewtonOS-to-NewtonOS selective syncing (Desktop
to PDA & vice-versa), intra-NewtonOS programming, and various system
tweaks would hopefully remove the leash that connects all things to Newton
to other operating systems.

Hmm...Einstein running with a POSIX foundation, installed on a 4 Xeon
processor Dell PowerEdge with SMP enabled, hardware RAID, and 6Gb of
RAM...all accessed wirelessly via a TabletPC (acting solely as an X
client). I think I could live with that, so long as the built in 3D video
support doesn't choke on NewtQuake before the bandwidth does (or the other
150 users running forked emulated sessions).

-Jeff