[NTLK] Rip van Newton

From: Melissa Mintel (melissamintel_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 07:07:12 PST

Last week I finally made time to resurrect my Newton after 4 years of
undeserved (and unpowered) neglect. I called Earthlink to ask for
updated DNS addresses, made the necessary changes to my Internet setup,
and I connected as smoothly as I had 7 years ago when I started my
Earthlink account directly from my Newton in the first place. Of
course, when I called Earthlink this time, the "technician" had no clue
what a Newton was, but, as Frank wrote, they don't even need to know.

  I need to update my connection options to my G4 desktop or PB. I'd
like to be able to get all the options to work (will work on Ethernet,
WiFi, and Bluetooth later), and I'm either having trouble or confused
or both.

1) Modem-to-modem: Started up in OS 9, but can't figure out how to turn
the modem on manually. Tried the instructions on wikiwikinewt,
connecting from the Newton before starting NCU, but still nothing.
FaxSTF *was* installed, now removed, but the FaxMenu still appears in
the main menu. Could this be the problem, and, if so, how can I solve
it without the installer disks?

2) A Keyspan mini-din/USB adapter only yields an error message: no
driver for unknown USB peripheral. What do I do now?

Also, are there any Newton owners on the list from the Seattle area? Or
the western suburbs of Philadelphia? I have already received invaluable
help from Frank Gruendel :-)

Thanks!

Melissa