Re: [NTLK] Rockwell Jupiter GPS receiver

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Tue Jan 25 2005 - 05:09:20 PST

Glen Givens wrote:

> Are there any lists as to which GPS receivers are compatible with the
> Newton MP2x00's?

Anything that will give you NMEA 0183 on a serial line, that you can get
connected either via the Newt's serial port or PCMCIA, will work.

> On ebay
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4668&item=5746177267
>
> This is a GPS board ready to be mounted in a box.

Yep, that will work in NMEA 0183 mode. I remember back in University a few
years ago, an engineering student I knew took one of these little kits and
built it into a Springboard module for his Visor. Damn, I was envious. (I
still took better notes in class on my 2100 than he could though).

> There is a site that gives an in depth review of a Rand McNally GPS
> receiver=A0 with the Street Finder Deluxe 2000 - Review by John Galvin.
> (revised Jan 24, 2000)
>
> http://www.gpsnuts.com/myGPS/GPS/Hardware%20reviews/RandMcNally/rand_mcnall=
> _gps.htm
>
> Is this compatible (the hardware, not the software)? Rand McNally does
> supply a Palm Pilot moving map application (uses vector maps instead of
> raster), would this be adaptable?.

Yes, the hardware will work. You can modify one of those Streetfinder units
to terminate in a serial connection. I used to have that page bookmarked, but
since I got a PCMCIA GPS card I think I cleaned it up.