Re: [NTLK] Newton (Fast) Serial Docking for newbies

From: Adriano (adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 13:36:25 PST

Did you try to set the Keyspan speed in the Keyspan serial assistant
'Advanced settings' panel? It's available in OS 9. You could use it to
have both the ports communicating at higher speeds (230K too), and you
could also choose the port you prefer to use: printer or modem (labeled
as 1 & 2 on the Keyspan adapter)

The Keyspan adapter is a RS422 device, it should be faster and more
stable than a RS232 device.

Take a look on the Advanced settings panel of yor keyspan software and
try to configure it for the 230K bitrate.
If you need detailed info about the settings of the keyspan assistant,
just drop me a line, and i will post it later.

Choosing the highest bitrate in a Keyspan adapter i think it's
seemlessly automatic on OS X, instead you will have to choose the
proper speed in Escale's preferences panel only, but as you could try
yourself, the Escale application often crushes at that speed with the
Keyspan, but not with the RS232 high speed USB adapter.

Adriano

Il giorno 28/gen/05, alle 21:53, RAParker ha scritto:

On Friday, January 28, 2005, at 09:41 AM, Adriano wrote:

> - To have your Mac communicating at 230400kbps on OS 9, it will need
> to be installed (without rebooting) the "Serial enabler" control panel,
> downloadable from the link
> http://www.markus-fritze.de/serialen/Serial-Enabler-1.0.3.sit

You're a genius!!! He's a genius!!! Success!!! I can confirm this does
work with a Keyspan USA-28 running in Classic, using Newton Connection
Utilities and connecting to a MessagePad 120 v2.0!

Just for fun, I tried to see of I could use my Keyspan USA-28 with the
various drivers you pointed out. It pretty much went like you said. I
experienced the crash and Classic shutdown. I unplugged the Keyspan
device, restarted Classic and launched NCU, the Keyspan device then
confirmed it was connected at 115,200bps!

Some notes on using the Keyspan device in Classic:

1) Maximum speed for the Keyspan USA-28 is 115Kbps according to the
tech specs. So, you will need to install the Serial 115200 enabler
package (not the 230400 enabler) on your Newton.

Download here:
    http://www.ee.cityu.edu.hk/~clli/unixnpi/Ser115200.pkg.gz

2) The Serial Enabler control panel is set to 38400 locked to 115200.

3) Use the Printer port (Port 1) on the Keyspan device and set the
Keyspan Assistant control panel settings to "Emulate Printer Port"

> I read that a with a Mac printer cable we could connect a MP via
> Appletalk on OS 9, without using a Appletalk/Localtalk hardware, but
> still not tried it.

Yes, I used to use AppleTalk on OS 9 as the connection protocol. Always
got decent speeds. But since moving to a PowerMac G4/500-AGP and OS X,
AppleTalk is no longer supported and I've had to set NCU & NBU to
connect using serial through the KeySpan adapter.

> Then i have a MP130 NOS.02 here to test, as soon as possible i will let
> you know about the speeds on it.

No need, it does work! I'll bet 230400 will work too with the right
RS-232 cable, as you mentioned. I'm testing an 8MB backup right now and
I'll give some rough calculations as to the speed boost at 115200,
later today or tomorrow.

We should set up a wiki page with this information. I (literally)
believe this is a breakthrough. We should also upload the software
drivers to UNNA.

Thanks again, your information was absolutely fantastic!

Ron

--
                |\_           PowerMac G4/500 : RC5-72 [4,497,408 keys/s]
               _(/(c__         Dual Quadra 840av : RC5-72 [73,214 keys/s]
              {/ (_wwv`;,
             _/ _) `^'(`;`),,
            {/  _)    `*(:'(:)*,
           _/  /_)      `(`:).;`)):,
          {/|  |_}        `:(;*(`(`;)*,
         _/ (,,)_}          `(`.;`(`))`*)
                              Spitting fire into the face of obsolescence
         http://stats.distributed.net/participant/psummary.php?&id=427831--
--
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all
inquiries