Re: [NTLK] Newton (Fast) Serial Docking for newbies

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 19:36:50 PST

On Jan 28, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Andrei Chichak wrote:

>> I read that a with a Mac printer cable we could connect a MP via
>> Appletalk on OS 9, without using a Appletalk/Localtalk hardware, but
>> still not tried it.
>
> Well, in effect, you have tried. A Mac printer cable is a localtalk
> cable.
> They haven't been serial since the stylewriter. (Don't flame me, I'm
> pulling this straight out of my butt, but it was true as of the
> introduction of the powermacs and the demise of the 040s).

Your kind of right, but actually this cable dates back to
imagewriter(the peripheral 8 cable as it was known). Also, true
localtalk cabling has termination, which allows more then just two
devices to be connected. The imagewriter cable does work for two
machines though. I suspect the imagewriter/serial cable also has more
connections then the two required for localtalk :~)

Marty