Re: [NTLK] eMate power supply & ribbon

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 05:15:07 PST

> does a powersupply for a MessagePad 110 will work,

Yes. As it has been said, it'll take longer to charge the battery.

> or is there any other power supply I can find easily at Radio
> Shack or something like this?

If I were you, I would not do this! Cheap unregulated power supplies
can kill Newton or eMate hardware in microseconds. Way faster than
what it will take until you smell that something must be wrong.

> - The ribbon, it is easy/possible to repair?

For about 4 out of 5 it is possible, but it is never easy. Unless
you have the skill and the equipment to solder under a microscope,
I'd suggest you don't even try. These days there are a couple of options:

Buy a used eMate for parts (make sure the display looks OK and it
reacts to taps)

Buy a new cable. Review is here: http://www.pda-soft.de/ematecable.html

Send the old cable my way. If I can fix it, it'll set you back
15 Euros plus one or two bucks for shipping back. If not, it'll set
you back the postage to Germany.

Good luck

Frank

-- Newton Software and Hardware at http://www.pda-soft.de