[NTLK] Can different Newton sounds be allocated to different functions?

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 13 2005 - 08:27:51 PDT

David,

Thanks for the tip on using "Sunrise" to allocate specific Newton sounds for startup and shutdown of my MP 2100. I wish it would do even more, such as adding yet more sound effects for pen taps, error responses, and so forth. Maybe I'll have to write to the developer and beg them to add more stuff...

Here's what I came up with: I used the Newton microphone to record (using the "Voice Alarm" app) my favorite South Park episode .mp3 sound byte. It's from the episode when Eric Cartman's Trapper Keeper (which had a flat screen television, fax machine, electronic zippers, and of course, ONSTAR) kept morphing and absorbing additional things around it to increase its functionality. The Trapper Keeper school binder eventually threatened to take over the world, like the computer chip in "The Terminator" movie! I found this especially humorous, given the do-it-all functionality of the Newton. Now, when I start up my MP 2100, it plays the Eric Cartman character's voice singing, "I don't wanna wait for my Trapper Keeper..." Too damn funny. For now, my shutdown sound effect is the teletubby character saying "Bye Bye..." Might have to find something better to replace that...

Incidentally, the "VoiceAlarm" program is a neat way to put ANY sound effect into your preferences' sound folder. I have one that I sometimes use to wake me up in the morning. It's just my own voice softly saying, "Matt...time to wake up...come on, sleepyhead...you have a busy day today...time to get up and have some coffee...you have a nice prouctive day ahead..." Now, i'm thinking of setting it so I can wake up to either a clip of "Flight of the Valkarie" or Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Chile". Obviously, I have too much time on my hands. Maybe I should offer a service to put customized sound clips onto people's Newtons..? "Must...resist...urge...to become...Ebay wh_at_r3..." LOL

Warmest regards,

Matt K.
Detroit, Michigan, USA

"Timmy! Timmy! Timmy!" {Sung by the band 'Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld'}