[NTLK] NetHack / NewtHack

From: Goodwin, Greg P. (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 06:56:50 PDT

        Check out Newthack...

http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/games/Arcade3
.htm

        Not a complete NetHack, but still fun.

Greg Goodwin
@><-- >------------------------
=20

-----Original Message-----
From: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net
[mailto:newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net] On Behalf Of Joe Kallo
Sent: Wednesday, June 08, 2005 8:38 AM
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Subject: [NTLK] Rouguelike/PocketCall questions

Hi list,

Two, hopefully related, questions which I couldn't find direct answers
to in the archives.

1. I've always thought it was one of the great computing tradegies that
the Newton never had a real port of some Rouguelike. I'm partial to
Nethack myself, but I'd take ANY of them. It's so odd too since some
version seems to run on everything from casio watches to tube amplifiers
EXCEPT the Newton. And it so tiny a file--usually less than a meg. So
here's my question for anyone who might be in the know: is there
something in principle about the way Nethack or the Newton works which
makes them incompatible? Has anyone ever tried doing some port to the
newton? I have Newthack and like it a good bit, but Nethack it is not--I
think Chris was the first to admit that. Would it be financially sound
to spend many hours teaching myself the basics of newton programming to
make such a port? Okay just kidding.

2. I've been playing Nethack using scrawlsoft's terminal app via
wireless to my OSX box. This is lots of fun and nearly satisfies my need
to Hack on the newton--its just that having to have a machine around and
the battery drain which is annoying. I'm thinking of paying for the
program but would like to have some comparison with PocketCall first. Is
there any way to get a PocketCall license any longer? Anyone have any
comments on a comparison with Scrawls pt100?

Thanks Newt people!

Joe
--=20
This is the NewtonTalk list - http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all