Re: [NTLK] Concerning Apples Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Norman Palardy (npalardy_at_great-white-software.com)
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 20:16:43 PDT

On Jun 9, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Mechcozmo wrote:

> The Cell processors aren't appropriate for desktop computer useage.=20
> At least, now they aren't. Maybe later. But now, they just aren't
> able to work. I'm still in the PowerPC camp. I'd take a 2.0 GHz G5
> against a 3.0 GHz P4 any day.

Most times I'd take that trade.
Altivec is still better than SSE
But, Apple could just as well use AMD's and those currently best the G5
in several areas.

And they still can't put a G5 in a laptop and there's no future date
when they could.
But they can put a P4 in there or even one of the new dual core AMD's

And Intel and AMD combined can deliver ships that IBM/Freescale simply
couldn't / wouldn't or didn't