Re: [NTLK] .pkg Problem from a longtime newbie

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 19:29:03 PDT

On Jun 13, 2005, at 9:02 PM, Zander Goss wrote:

> I just got around a bootstrapping problem with my eMate, I have no
> idea what I did to get past it, but suddenly, it works (which just
> goes to show how little I know about what I'm doing). Now I want to
> install a slew of packages to my Newt, but on my computer, they're
> listed as .pkg files, without the proper icon, y'know? NCU does not
> recognize them. I don't know what to do to the files to make NCU
> accept them and allow me to install them as packages.
For OS 9, there's PackType, http://home.comcast.net/~saweyer/newton/
toolinfo.htm#PackType

For OS X, there's Packager, http://metastasis.net/mici/pkgs/pkger_e.html

Or for sh$ts and giggles (the non-NCU option), you can turn on the
web server on your mac, put the .pkg files in the root directory,
and use a Newton web browser to download and install them all at once.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't say don't forget to check the FAQ :),
but then again I always thought "remiss" was a term used in gender
reassignment. Ah, it's late, I really must get to bed.

- Dave