Re: [NTLK] [OT]Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Toby Hutton (tobyhutton_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 06:13:24 PDT

On Jun 14 '05, Alex Santos wrote:
> I read that too. Perhaps PC BIOS is included. Yahoo. boy when Longhorn
> comes out it will run or atleast MS will be delayed due to making a
> runaround the new built in BIOS on macs. Careful this is just my
> assumption based on what was written below.

I read somewhere that OF is definitely out, but I also read that EFI is
most likely in. There is absolutely no reason for Apple to put PC
BIOSs in their macs instead of the much more modern and Intel designed
(and therefore endorsed) EFI.

http://www.intel.com/technology/efi/

A bonus with EFI is it doesn't require real mode which PC BIOSs do. The
Mac wouldn't need real mode either of course. I wonder if it'd be
possible for Intel to produce an x86 chip that didn't support real
mode..? That'd probably reduce the complexity a little bit.

When Apple say they won't stop Windows from running on their Macs it
doesn't mean they'll go out of their way to let it run. And there's no
reason why Windows can't support EFI. It probably already does, I don't
know.

Toby.