Re: [NTLK] [OT] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Joost van de Griek (jvdg_at_jvdg.com)
Date: Thu Jun 16 2005 - 00:41:33 PDT

On 2005-06-16 1:26, Martin Joseph wrote:

> On Jun 15, 2005, at 4:17 PM, Kevin Hagen wrote:
>
>> If this happens, MacTel or whatever Apple will call it, will be even more of
>> a niche player, and that will cut into the bottom line hard.
>
> Maybe, but not if enough PC's adopt OSX, then they actually become a much
> larger player.

I doubt that'll happen, though. Any PC manufacturer who dares ship PC's with
Mac OS X on them will lose its Windows licensing. That's the end of their
corporate market.

>> I think Apple simply doesn't want to spend any of its profits funding an
>> alternative platform.
>
> That is completely wrong. They are still totally committed to an
> "alternative" platform. You are over rating the uniqueness of mac hardware.
> It has been made of standard stuff for a long long time.

No, YOU are completely wrong, there. A Mac isn't just a PC box with a PPC
CPU. Just because it has PCI, AGP, USB etc., doesn't mean it isn't a
completely different design from a PC.

> I expect that apple will continue to add some custom and semicustom parts to
> intel based Mac's/

Let's hope so, but since Intel make some pretty serious integrated chipsets
to go with their CPU's, and Apple has probably made this move in a effort to
cut costs (alongside other reasons), I'm not so sure about that, yet.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
Dead end
You are at a dead end of a dirt road.  The road goes to the east.
>take shovel
Taken.
>eat shovel
You forcefully shove a shovel down your throat, and start choking.
You are dead.
You have scored 0 out of a possible 90 points.
--
Joost van de Griek
<http://www.jvdg.net/>