Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X: Backup to Firewire-HD?

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 03:35:57 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] [OT] OS X: Backup to Firewire-HD?
From: Martin Joseph <martyNT () barknaturalpet ! com>
Date: 2005-05-30 23:33:53

>On May 30, 2005, at 1:33 PM, David Abramowitz wrote:
>
>> On May 30, 2005, at 4:21 PM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>>> Cheers, folks,
>>>
>>> a slightly Off Topic-question today: I would like to backup my
>>> Powerbook's three partitions to my external Firewire harddisk. I
have
>>> tried with SuperDuper (too many error messages) and Carbon Copy
Cloner
>>> (can't backup to network or external drives, some error messages).
>>> Both didn't really work out for me, so I need something else.
>>
>> Any hot backup tool-tips out there?
>
> How about using Disk Utility to create images of the partitions, then
> copy the partitions to the external FW disk.

Tried that. Problem: Can't create an image of a disk on this very same
disk, and for some reasons, it wouldn't work on external FW-drive.

>Actually you don't even need to do that, you could simply setup the FW
>external with separate partitions for each on the internal.

No worky: External HD is 20 GB, internal HD is 80 GB split into 3
partitions.

>Disk Utility could then be used to dup these... Either way will work
fine
>though...

Didn't really do it here. Will try again some other time.

>Carbon Copy cloner definitely works great with external firewire
>storage, so I am not sure what your complaint is with that.

I've succeeded finally with CCC, after deleting some stuff on the HD
incl. the drive's indizes. Still get an "Error 1" at the end of the
whole cloning process, and after moving the image to a network drive, I
couldn't move it back to external FW HD. Huh?

DJ Vollkasko