[NTLK] smoking Newt

From: John Steinbeck (waywardbus26_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Jun 17 2005 - 14:57:52 PDT

Hi all, and thanks in advance for any help list
members might offer:

I picked up a great-looking MP 2100 at a garage sale
recently. It was running on AA batteries and all was
well. There was also a recharageable battery and the
9-watt AC adapter in the box.

 When I got home and plugged in the AC, the Newt
booted, then shut off, followed by the smell of
something burning. A slight bit of smoke began
rising. I quickly pulled the plug and noted that the
power port was extremely hot to the touch. No
permanent damage -- the Newton still works with the
battery tray in place and without bursting into
flames. Phew.

My question: is this fixable short of a new
motherboard? Can the power plug assembly be replaced?
Or is the solution just: don't use AC power, ever? The
rechargeable is probably deep toast anyway, but
still....

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com