Re: [NTLK] Newton doesn't like the cold

From: Martin Joseph (martyNT_at_barknaturalpet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 09:24:59 PST

On Mar 3, 2005, at 8:58 AM, Dan wrote:

>>> Is there any way to determine where the problem is? I suspect a
>>> battery problem, though I'm not sure what it might be.
>>

>> Most rechargable batteries have problems with low temperatures,
>> putting
>> alkalines in your Newt when you take it to cold places should help.
>
> Actually all battery efficiency goes down in cold temperature. Which
> is
> why your car might be harder to start on a really cold morning, even
> though the battery is fine in normal temperature.
True, but also the mechanical force required is greater due to thicker
oil etc..
> I tend to think that
> your rechargeables may not be holding the full capacity that they use
> to. I agree with Robert that alkalines may be better in colder
> temperature because alkalines have 2.5 volts and most rechargeables
> give
> 2.25. So they should last a bit longer before the voltage drops due to
> the cold.
I think you mean 1.5 for Alkaline and about 1.2 for NiMh...

You could just keep your newton in your pants where the batteries
should stay toasty. Unless you are freezing your butt off.

"Is that a Newton in your pants? or are you just glad to see me?

Marty