Re: [NTLK] OT Requesting Windows Backup Help!

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 15:46:54 PST

Every time Windows does a service pack update or
hotfix, it stores the service pack and backup
information somewhere on the hard drive.
The most important thing to do is to change the way
you look at your files. If you are viewing your files
with large icons and no extensions, stop! Change this
before you get in trouble.
You do this by opening My Computer and clicking on the
Tools menu item and then Folder options. From here
click on the View tab and go through the check boxes
one by one...
The most important ones for you are: All the boxes
under the Files and Folders checked. Under the Hidden
files and folders, you want the second radio button
selected (show hidden files and folders). From there,
select what you feel you may want. Oh yeah, you will
get prompted if you really want to select something (I
can't remember what it is) so say OK. When done, click
the Apply button and then click the Apply to All
folders button at the top. Now you can view all the
files on your computer.
Now, go to the Windows directory and you will see a
bunch of folders that are called things like:
$NtUninstallKB828741$
These are hotfix backups, and honestly? You can delete
the older ones...especially the ones that are prior to
a stable running condition. And if you back up the OS
on a regular basis, you can delete ALL of them...it
won't hurt your system. Just realize that if you
delete a backed up hotfix and need to revert and you
deleted it...you will probably need to reinstall the
entire OS...but that is very unlikely! And besides, if
you need to install the OS, I suggest you check out
the MSDN site and do a search on Streamlining for a
better OS install!
Ed
web/gadget guru
--- MKow1234_at_aol.com wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I apologize for the off-topic posting, but I need
> help.
> Yesterday, I installed Windows Service Pack 2 on my
> laptop (running Windows XP). At some point, I must
> have told the updated system to create a backup of
> my data. Unfortunately, this resulted in my hard
> drive becoming nearly 90% filled.
> I have a small hard drive that is already made
> smaller because it is partitioned into two operating
> systems: Linux RedHat 8.0 and Windows XP. I had
> allocated something like 6.5 gig for my Windows
> system, which was plenty -- until yesterday's
> events.
>
> Here's the question: What's the easiest and best way
> to recover all of that storage space on my hard
> drive? I don't REALLY need the backup, certainly
> not if it's going to eat up over 2 gig of storage
> space. Somebody PLEASE help!
>
> Many thanks!
>

> Matt K.
> --
> This is the NewtonTalk list -
> http://www.newtontalk.net/ for all inquiries
> Official Newton FAQ:
> http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/
> WikiWikiNewt for all kinds of articles:
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/

=====
"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial

Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!