[NTLK] [ANN] Einstein Emulator User Preview 1 (UP1)

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Mar 05 2005 - 15:52:46 PST

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce Einstein Emulator User Preview 1.
The key element of this release is a brand new Cocoa interface,
making Einstein Emulator easy to use for end-users.
Additionally, I now emulate the keyboard (cf the README file for the
release notes).

What is Einstein Emulator?
--------------------------

Einstein Emulator is a Voyager/NewtonOS 2.1 emulator. It works with a
NewtonOS 2.1 ROM (MP2x00 US, MP2100D, eMate 300 -- it doesn't work
with a Watson ROM, but I don't think there is an easy way to extract
the ROM from a Watson anyway).

It's the first step towards a port of NewtonOS to other PDA devices.

The emulator currently only works on MacOS X. An arm-linux port might
be available when I'll get myself an arm-linux PDA (Zaurus or iPaq,
for example). I have some problems with the Linux x86 port (probably,
data alignment access differences between arm/powerpc and x86).

Where can I download it?
------------------------

Einstein Emulator can be downloaded from my website:
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/einstein/

What's new since latest MacOS X build?
--------------------------------------

- Added a Cocoa screen manager and a whole Cocoa application around it.
- Added keyboard support.
- Improved the way events are transmitted from the host to the Newton.
- X11 screen manager can now cope with most (any?) visual (using
   XAllocColor). Please note that 8 bits TrueColor cannot represent either the
   16 shades of gray or the 16 shades of green.
- Fixed a bug in the cli application code.
- Fixed a bug in the way breakpoints are parsed.
- Improved the package installation by reporting progress on the
   installation itself (in addition to progress of the transfer).
- Allowed several packages to be installed in a row.
- Added a watch command to watch parameters and log the result.
- Improved screen interface by making it endianness-agnostic.
- Improved flash by making it endianness-agnostic.
- Fixed bugs in the X11 interface, including better multi-threaded code.
- X11 display now is endianness-agnostic and works with both 24 and 15 bits
   depth (millions and thousands of colors).
- Flash now uses mmap(2) and associated calls.
- RTC delta is now initialized so that the Newton is set to host time at
   boot.
- Fixed a bug that prevented the Newton to be powered off more than once.
- Memory and ROM are now swapped on little-endian machines,
   thus avoiding unnecessary conversions during each access.
- Many optimizations.

Regards,

Paul

--
Ministre ultraplénipotentiaire en disponibilité.
Baignoire à vendre.